Sunday, October 28, 2012

Google Street View images 2012

 Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge


Here is another article about how artists are using Google Earth Street View to create serious art that comments on the nature of surveillance, the tension between the democratic, impersonal, non-judgmental nine-eyed camera and the efforts of the artist and the audience to read value and meaning into the images, and so on. I still think of Jon Rafman as the master of this new medium, but the article shows that many other artists are presently also at work at harvesting and arranging these images in novel ways. Coming across this piece reminded me that it is about time I emptied my own folders of the GE Street View images I have been collecting over the past year or so. To create this, I use only the tools available (pivot and zoom) in the GE user interface. Nothing is done to the image after I have saved it to the folder. I am still relatively ambivalent about commentary: serious artists such as Rafman offer no commentary and let the image speak for itself as art. I myself am not ready to call my images art, although I do spend some time at first trying to decide if the subject matter is worthy of harvesting and then the best way to compose them image using the GE tools. So, just as before, I will just toss them all out onto the table in no particular order and with few comments.

 Sante Fe


 Aqua Fria, NM


These next three are from Lewter Shop Road between Chapel Hill and Apex, part of my daily drive to work for about four years in the 1990s.





Two from Miami Beach:



Miami:
 Outdoor Pentacostal Church Service under a bridge





A series from "Cancer Alley," along the River between Baton Rouge and NOLA.
 





Key West
 Tourists at Southernmost Point snap pictures of the Google Earth car.


A series from Sao Paulo, Brazil










No comments:

Post a Comment