Tuesday, December 27, 2011

More Google Earth Street View Images

Sometimes at the end of the day I like to take a break and tour the world via Google Earth Street View. Harvesting Street View images is an idea I got from Jon Rafman, the grand master. It's hard to explain why I like doing this so much. I sense a thrill of discovery, also a drive to explore the world, to understand geography, sense of place, and also to identify interesting material and then compose the shot. I use minimal zooming functions and no photo retouches. I previously posted a collection of harvested images last march. Several months later, I have a new batch. I've been to the Brazilian countryside, the north coast of Norway, Romania, some bedroom community of Denver, the cathedral at Reims, and Baltimore. I could try to talk you through them, but I think it is more fun to mix them all up like a deck of cards and just let you at them. However, I can't resist a few captions. As always, if you want 'em bigger, click on 'em.




My OCD is mad that I did not center this one better.

In the television series "The Wire," these abandoned row houses are sometimes portrayed as metaphorical tombstones. In Street View, I peruse them hoping to find something interesting in the open windows. A home run would be a person looking back. I found these pigeons in one and said "that'll do!"
Many many blocks of these abandoned row houses can be found in Baltimore.

You might guess Baltimore but this is actually Philadelphia.
The Center of the World.

Not sure what's going on here but they seem to have more dirt than they need.
This is their front yard, where they hang out. What makes this picture really great is the fact that there is something green in the planter.







Automatic face blur working one third of the time here.

Campfire site at the end of a road in Norway.


No comments:

Post a Comment