Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Landscaping at my brother-in-law's beach cottage


I don't know what you guys like to do on your summer vacation, but I always like to get some landscaping in wherever I go. My wife's brother has a cottage called La Tortuga on Oak Island, North Carolina where our family goes occasionally for a week at a time. Last year many of the cottages on the island were converted from septic systems to the town sewer. This left the driveway in a rough and weedy state. While there last May, my wife, my other brother-in-law and I regraded the drive and spread eight tons of crushed stone.


Digging out wire grass so we can grade.


Job done. If you thought it looked better with the grass there, don't worry. That wire grass is coming right back. But now there is a smoother, more stable surface for parking and unloading. I planted a pittosporum and a few knophofia and homestead purple verbena near the electrical boxes.


Kudzu on the trash container corral.


Kudzu gone! The existing compacta hollies were pretty beat up from the sewer installation operation. We hope they can recover now that the kudzu is removed.

I encourage everyone to go out to the Carolina Coast and rent my brother-in-law's beach cottage, La Tortuga! A classic three-bedroom cottage with knotty pine paneling, a wonderful place to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment